It’s been just 4 years, but I feel like it’s been 10. It has been so eventful!! We have had and have a lot of happy moments and times when some effort is needed to get over a fight. We don’t really have serious fights, since we cannot really stay mad at each other for more than a day…aham…I mean me 😀 as Fernando is always more forgiving and nicer than I am. He is a blessing to me and I’m thankful to God for bringing us together!
Now, let’s get back to the practical items. These are a few things I have learnt this past year:
- constantly fall in love and remind yourself and your partner why you love them and what you admire about them.
- always keep in mind that you are in “this” together.
- make plans together, not separately.
- having the same principles will make your life together so much easier and smoother!
- if you fail or succeed as a couple it’s something you both to share the blame for.
- your happinness is not your partner’s responsability and vice versa.
- communication and trust are vital!!!
- it’s not just mine, or just his, it’s ours.
- you will change with time and as long as you change together and walk in the same direction, that’s great!
- make sure you share your thoughts, feelings, dreams and disappointments with your partner first, not with someone else, whoever that might be.
- make your partner your priority; not your friends, your hobby or your career! Because you share your life with a person, not an activity or a job.
- go for walks and reminisce on the good and hard times and be happy on how far you’ve got 🙂
- understand and accept that you have lows and highs and it’s important you treat them accordingly; don’t ponder too much on the lows and enjoy at most the highs.
- make sure you share a common activity, but don’t forget that you are your own person and you don’t have to do everything together.
- having alone time is needed and healthy and it’s not a sign that you love your partner less.
- love is expressed In different ways; learn which is the one your partner uses and appreciate it and encourage it. Is it words, is it acts of kindness, is it physical, etc.
I could go on for hours, but one thing that is for sure is that your relationship is a journey, not a destination!
Last, it’s something that I say every year, but I am certain we’re a match made in heaven.
Love you, baby and I’m loving our journey together!